Tuesday, September 20, 2011

UHM Update

The 2nd week of the Universal Homework Model went even better than the first.  Here is a list of positives I noticed:
  • Turning in HW and tallying stars took about 5 minutes or less each day.
  • The class gets to practice math skills while tallying the stars.  They have a vested interest in adding, skip counting, and graphing when it relates to homework stars!  Later in the year I may even have them calculate the stars themselves.
  • Coach B's prediction came true!!!  Students actually asked for FOUR STAR HOMEWORK!
  • Students asked, "How many more stars do we need to earn 3 minutes?"  That fit PERFECTLY with our subtraction lesson.  It is important to them, so they actually care and pay attention.
  • Mind Soccer was better this week.  I took more control and volleyed the ball back and forth.  I love how it leaves them wanting more!
Something else I noticed:  It's harder to earn enough stars when the stomach bug hits the class and many students are absent.  I considered lowering the goal...but no, let's use the  absences to motivate the others to work harder!

Allison
WBT Intern, 2011-12

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your comments on the Homework Stars. Would love to know more on how you set up your graphing charts to help the students monitor their progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy!

    Check out the post below for Sep. 10th. It has a picture. I just have a class graph on the board. (Maybe later in the year they'll have their own!) I basically put a vertical number line on the board and point out where the 1 minute, 2 minute, and 3 minute levels are. When we find the new total for the day, I start pointing at the bottom of the graph and slowly move up as the class says, "Keep going, keep going, keep going, STOP!" They tell me about where the bar should be on the graph to represent their total stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great!! My grade level has been doing traditional homework packets, but with the end of the quarter nearing, we want to make the leap! What are the directions you leave in the folder for the parents/students to have access to? Thank you so much for all your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nancy!
    I'll try to upload some things tomorrow. The are on my school computer. Check back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot! We are laying some ideas out as a grade level to make the changes. we appreciate your input!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, Nancy. Check out the latest post :-)

    ReplyDelete