Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Printing Power Pix!

According to the Whole Brain Teaching Model Classroom Guide, wibbeting classrooms should have a bulletin board to post Power Pix.  Power Pix are basically posters that illustrate an important concept in either math or ELA.  The manual gives details on gestures for each concept as well as easy/quick activities to review and check for understanding. 
Take a look:




I have the perfect wall to post the Power Pix as they are introduced, but my main roadblock has been finding a way to print them.  I checked into Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, and FedEx.  From what I could tell, it looked like anywhere from $30-$60 just to print the 2nd grade math Power Pix (depending on paper).  The experts on the forum suggested that owning a color printer was a good investment for a teacher.  That reminded me that we have an old color printer that ran out of ink a few years ago.  I hopped over to www.carrotink.com and found refurbished ink for only $30!  It came in the mail 2 days later and my wonderful hubby set to work getting the printer back into working order.  I think it took about an hour, and now it is printing beautifully!  


I like having the flexibility to print just the pix that I want.  I've looked through the 1st grade and 3rd grade pix as well to find everything I need to meet my state standards here in Texas.  

I've noticed a couple of classroom photos posted lately to show how other teachers plan to display their Power Pix.  Check out Heather's classroom here.  The Whole Brainiac plans to use the window blinds for the Power Pix showcase- great idea!  When I get to work in my classroom next week, I'll be sure to take some photos to post here too!

The Power Pix can be downloaded for FREE at the Whole Brain Teaching website after you log in.

Allison
WBT Intern, 2011-12

4 comments:

  1. While I do have my own color printer, I went to Office Depot to print the PowerPix. I didn't want to use up all my ink since there are so many! Can't wait to see your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and WBT and will use it this year with my 2nd graders here in Ct. I can't wait to follow along with you here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear it, Wendi! You will be amazed at what you can accomplish with Whole Brain Teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And guess what Wendi?! You are my 50th follower! :-D

    ReplyDelete