Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Wonderful World of SuperSpeed

The first Whole Brain Teaching tool that I ever tried was SuperSpeed 1000!  At the time I was teaching 3rd grade at a school in Dallas where the students were predominantly ESL.  There was a large focus on reading fluency and I was looking for a way to make it a little more fun.  I found just what I was looking for with SuperSpeed!  It partners students together to practice the 1,000 most common words.  Since then I have enjoyed using all of the SuperSpeed games with a variety of students.  


This morning I introduced SuperSpeed 1000 to the 1st grader that I tutor.  (The suggested age is 3rd-12th...but she is ready!)  Before she began kindergarten we used SuperSpeed Letters.  After practicing with Biffytoons to learn the beginning sight words, we played SuperSpeed 100 all the way to the end.  (She played all the way through SuperSpeed Numbers as well.)  It only seems natural to move on!  SuperSpeed 1000 starts with the most common sight words and gets progressively harder, so I think it will be a great way to help her continue to grow.


It had been several months since we played a SuperSpeed game together, but after showing her the agenda for the day, SuperSpeed was her first choice!  She loves trying to beat her records and coloring in stars to show her success.


I've had the pleasure of using the SuperSpeed games with every grade between pre-K and 7th (except for 5th) and I've had nothing but positive results.  They all enjoy what could be mundane practice.  Here is what the manual has to say:
Students, effortlessly, receive hundreds of repetitions reading the most common sight words while setting and breaking team records. The goal is not to break another team’s record, but to surpass your own team’s previous best mark. Even better than increasing reading speed, players of SuperSpeed 1000 are rewarded with one of the most deeply powerful lessons in education: I can set and break personal records. I can always do better than my own previous best.

SuperSpeed is like so many aspects of Whole Brain Teaching: it is free, easy, fun, and most of all effective.  Check out SuperSpeed Numbers, SuperSpeed Math, SuperSpeed Letters & Phonics, SuperSpeed 100, and SuperSpeed 1000!  Download all of the manuals here.



Allison
WBT Intern, 2011-12

2 comments:

  1. I have never used Super Speed 1000, but I used Super Speed letters and numbers with my kindergarteners last year. The results were amazing! Keep up the good work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not quite a teacher yet (getting ready for student teaching) and plan on tutoring in the spring and subbing and already know that WBT is what I want to use. How did you do the SuperSpeed with one child? Where you their partner or did you try something else? THANKS! I love your site

    ReplyDelete