- Turning in HW and tallying stars took about 5 minutes or less each day.
- The class gets to practice math skills while tallying the stars. They have a vested interest in adding, skip counting, and graphing when it relates to homework stars! Later in the year I may even have them calculate the stars themselves.
- Coach B's prediction came true!!! Students actually asked for FOUR STAR HOMEWORK!
- Students asked, "How many more stars do we need to earn 3 minutes?" That fit PERFECTLY with our subtraction lesson. It is important to them, so they actually care and pay attention.
- Mind Soccer was better this week. I took more control and volleyed the ball back and forth. I love how it leaves them wanting more!
Something else I noticed: It's harder to earn enough stars when the stomach bug hits the class and many students are absent. I considered lowering the goal...but no, let's use the absences to motivate the others to work harder!
WBT Intern, 2011-12